Friday, March 20, 2009

Backpacking!!!!!

So yeah. I went backpacking for 4 days (march 14-17) with my Venturing Crew. It was awesome on an epic level. What with the trees, the blue sky, the puffy white clouds, the caves, the rivers/streams, and my favourite, the Waterfalls!!! So little J caught three baby snakes. They were ADORABLE!!!!!!!! One of them I had spotted. We were pretty sure that it was a copperhead, but it was too young to have any venom. And I got to pet all of them!!! I love snakes... However, I wish that the entire spider species was non-existent. So yeah, on Monday evening, after we had set up our tent (the four other girls and I shared a four person tent), one of them had forgotten the door open...guess what happened. Yup. You guessed right. Our tent got a nice little infestation of nasty indigenous spiders. And they weren't small. So I'm supposedly the only REAL arachnophobic there; keep that in mind. One of the other girls, CS, and I went back to the tent to get something, and we discovered the tent door open, so we closed it, but not until after we...well, she, had killed or swiped away all of like 7 spiders from the outside of the tent. Then, we went back over to the camp fire. I told RS, (one of CS's two sisters) t hat there were a lot of spiders inside the tent. She believed me, so we went back to wage war on the spiders. When we got to the tent, we killed a few spiders on the outside and we opened up the door. This big black spider with a body that had an inch and a half diameter before you added on the legs, RS smooshed that one. Needless to say, that freaked us out, so we tried in vane to recruit a third of the girls to help us kill off the spiders. None of them believed us so we kind of gave up. We all decided that it was time to go go to sleep. JH (little J's sister) and I go find a bathroom spot. On the way back to the tent, I didn't hear any screaming or see the tent moving in weird directions and such, so I assumed that I HAD been wrong about the spiders in the tent. WRONG!!!!! So JH and I get back to the tent and we get in there. I look to my left and see a big spider on the wall. JH screams and so does everybody else, but oddly I don't I just freak out and half squish RS as I scramble away from that side of the tent. There's another spider crawling down a web adjacent to the wall that the other spider was on. All the other girls were completely freaking out and scrambling around looking for something to kill the spiders with. They got done of AS's (RS's and CS's sister) hiking boots and I grab it, start yelling "DIE!!!!!!!!! DIE!!! DIE!!!! DIE!!!! DIE!!!!! DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and slam the spider going down it's web (it dies instantly), and the force of that slam causes the spider on the adjacent wall to be flung towards me. Still yelling "DIE!!!!" I smash that spider, like, 7 times. I then proceed to search the entire tent and kill 13 more spiders the same way. Later that night, we did a spider check and I spotted another one over on JH's side of the tent. She screamed, and used the boot to kill it with. All in all, ME, the only REAL arachnophobic: 14 dead spiders, the Non-arachnophobic: 1 dead spider. GO ME!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. o_O the moral to THAT story is... close the tent.

    very proud of you, Twilight :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol Most definitely!

    Why thank you! About 6 months ago, I would have run, screaming, from the tent!! LOL

    ReplyDelete